Production Details / Press Releases
IN A DUET CHARGED WITH TENSION, two dancers experience the brutality that norms exert on their bodies. Between ecstasy and collapse, an energy builds up that threatens to shake everything. 12 years after its invitation to Tanztage Berlin, the Bessie Prize-winning piece returns to the Sophiensæle and, in a revised version, explores the interface between Queer Theory and Disability Studies. In its relentless vulnerability, Glory releases a smouldering, subversive force.
THE FIRST VERSION of Glory premiered in 2003 at The Kitchen in New York City as part of Dance Works in Progress and was performed by Jeremy Wade with Lyndsey Karr. In February 2007, he performed a second version at Dance Theater Workshop with Jessica Hill. This Version was shown in the same year at Tanztage Berlin. After moving from New York City to Berlin in 2006, Wade created a third version performed with Marysia Stoklosa. Today a fourth version is shown, together with the dancer Sindri Runudde and with music by Brendan Dougherty.
Disruption, Excess, Hyper Vulnerability, Critical Care – JEREMY WADE is an extreme performer and performance maker with an extensive practice of curating and teaching to boot. After graduating from the School for New Dance Development in Amsterdam in 2000 and receiving a Bessie Award for his first full-length performance Glory at Dance Theater Workshop in New York City in 2006, he moved to Berlin and since then works in close collaboration with the HAU Hebbel am Ufer.
SINDRI RUNUDDE is a dancer and choreographer. He is the creative mind behind performances like Vända och vrida, as well as the autobiographical Blind Boi Diaries directed by Juli Apponen. His latest piece The Fishing Dance & Other Cosmic Confessions, is a conceptual album and workout program consisting of seven different dances with specific purposes. It is a tribute to movement that encourages the nourishing potential of dance and movement in metaphorical confessions full of fabulousness. Powered by “radical pedagogy”, Sindri Runudde works from the premise that every body has knowledge and experience, and every story owns a dance.
BRENDAN DOUGHERTY (born in Philadelphia) is a composer, producer and performer now based in Berlin. His work takes the form of installations, performances and recordings with two LPs released under his name. He is equally known for his collaboration with performing artists, having worked with Jeremy Wade (Throwing Rainbows Up, No End to More, I Offer Myself to Thee), Ian Kaler, Adam Linder, Colette Sadler and Meg Stuart, with whom he created Atelier I, Violet, Atelier II and Sketches Notebook.
[Source: play bill]
TFB Nr. 1329
Cast & Credits
CONCEPT, CHOREOGRAPHY: Jeremy Wade
PERFORMANCE: Jeremy Wade, Sindri Runudde
MUSIC: Brendan Dougherty
LIGHT: Andreas Harder, Emma Juliard
REHEARSAL DIRECTOR: Michael Rolnick
ARTISTIC SUPPORT, ASSISTANCE: Yoav Admoni
PRODUCTION: björn & björn
A production by Jeremy Wade.
Supported by the Dance Theater Workshop and the Jerome Foundation’s First Light Program.
With thanks to Springdance and Tanztage Berlin.
The resumption is funded by the Senate Department for Culture and Europe.
Jeremy Wade / Trailers and Video Documentations
- Jeremy Wade: Interview / Portrait Jeremy Wade (2018)
- Jeremy Wade: GLORY (2019)
- Jeremy Wade: The Clearing (2019)
- Jeremy Wade: Between Sirens (2018)
- Jeremy Wade: SAY SOMETHING (2016)
- Jeremy Wade: DrawnOnward (2015)
- Jeremy Wade: Death Asshole Rave Video (2015)
- Jeremy Wade: Together Forever (2014)
- Jeremy Wade: Fountain (2012)
- Jeremy Wade: Fountain/To The Mountain (2011)
- Jeremy Wade: Workshop Showing – MAKING THE NATURE SEE (PART C) (2011)
- Jeremy Wade: Identity and Transgression (2011)
- Jeremy Wade: Creature Feature #13 (2011)
- Jeremy Wade: I offer myself to thee (2009)
Instant Feedback Reviews
- Elisabeth Nehring: D.R.A.G. / WILHELM GROENER (18.10.2018)
- Frank Schmid: The Emergency Artist / Clément Layes, Public in Private (23.11.2018)
- Frank Schmid: Hopeless. / Sergiu Matis (11.02.2019)
- Elisabeth Nehring: Warrior / Anne-Mareike Hess (15.02.2019)
- Frank Schmid: Er… Sie… und andere Geschichten / laborgras (22.02.2019)
- Elisabeth Nehring: slave to the rhythm / Hermann Heisig (13.04.2019)
- Frank Schmid: volto umano / cie. toula limnaios (06.06.2019)
- Elisabeth Nehring: SPEAKING VOLUMES / Mirjam Sögner (14.06.2019)
- Elisabeth Nehring: The Reversed Alchemist: Figure 1-3 / Ixchel Mendoza Hernández (21.07.2019)
- Frank Schmid: Say My Name, Say My Name / Olivia Hyunsin Kim, Ddanddarakim (13.09.2019)
- Elisabeth Nehring: Die Architektur einer Linie / Riki von Falken (20.09.2019)
- Frank Schmid: Soft Things / Rose Beermann, Iva Sveshtarova (11.10.2019)
- Frank Schmid: Platz nehmen / Antje Pfundtner in Gesellschaft (23.11.2019)
- Frank Schmid: Borders & Corners / Grupo Oito (10.01.2020)
- Elisabeth Nehring: Flush / Sheena McGrandles (07.02.2020)
- Elisabeth Nehring: The End of the Road / (15.02.2020)
- Elisabeth Nehring: Les Imprédictibles / Corbusier, Felix M. Ott (21.02.2020)