Production Details / Press Releases
In reality, my body is always somewhere else. It is connected to all the “elsewheres” in the world. It is elsewhere in the world. (Michel Foucault)
Inspired by the radio broadcasts The Utopian Body / Heterotopias by French philosopher Michel Foucault, the body is turned in choreography into a hybrid term. It is the source from where the world begins and connects us to it. At the same time, it is a place of longing, desire and fantasy, a source of utopia that clutters our view of the body in all its harsh reality and transience.
In FindeOrte, we unclutter this view and make space for both the real and utopian qualities of the body. The images and phantasms the body generates clash with its sheer “thing-ness”. It is both a showpiece and an agent of all utopias– whether alone or in interaction with other bodies.
Our bodies debate the words of the French philosopher, set adrift on them and desire to them. They counter the reality of spoken language and mere presence. In search of the body’s location, we find other places, many places, and all of them are the body.
Cast & Credits
Choreography & Performance: Jutta Hell & Dieter Baumann
Music & Sound: DaBao, James Blake
Lighting design: Jochen Massar
Video: Dieter Baumann
Stage & Costume: Jutta Hell
German voice: Ute Pliestermann
English voice: Victoria Pickett
A production by Tanzcompagnie Rubato. Funded by the Governing Mayor of Berlin – Senatskanzlei – Cultural Affairs. With the support of the Tanzfabrik Berlin in the context of “Tanz Hoch Zwei”.
Thanks to: Prof. Dr. Gabriele Brandstätter, Björn Dirk Schlüter, Elke Schmid, Ludger Orlok and the entire team of the Tanzfabrik Berlin and the Uferstudios.
Tanzfabrik Berlin / Wedding
The video documentation is produced by Kulturprojekte Berlin GmbH on behalf of the Senate Department for Culture and Europe. The purpose of this contract is to document productions in the field of contemporary dance in Berlin. The master recordings are archived by the University Library of the Berlin University of Arts. Copies of the recordings on DVD are available for viewing exclusively in the reference collections of the following archives (at media desks in these institutions):
Tanzcompagnie Rubato / Trailers and Video Documentations
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Interview / Portrait Tanzcompagnie Rubato (2017)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: SOS – Ein TANZFONDS ERBE Projekt (2018)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Figures in a Landscape (2018)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: flirren (2017)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Voltage / ZERO (2016)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Wiederholung und Differenz (2015)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Uncertain States (2015)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Happiness / Xing Fu (2014)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Two Figures in a Landscape (2014)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Act (2013)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: milk & bread / rice & water (2011)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Look at me, I´m Chinese (2010)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: display life (2009)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: TROPEN (2009)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: 3 men running (2009)