Production Details / Press Releases
HILLBROWFICATION (2018) An alien invasion establishes a new social order based on people’s dance skills. A revolutionary princess with infinite names is able to bend the corridors of space and time… These and other stories inhabit strange worlds of possible futures and unlikely ones in HILLBROWFICATION.
Between utopias and dystopias of ghettoisation and gentrification, the fictional future histories of Hillbrow neighbourhood in Johannesburg, of its cultures and beings, create a universe where the performers negotiate and subvert self-representational narratives and their perceptions of xenophobia and violence in the city. dorkypark.org
TFB Nr. 1185
Cast & Credits
Director: Constanza Macras
Choreographer: Constanza Macras and Lisi Estarás
Dramaturgy: Tamara Saphir
By and with: Miki Shoji, Emil Bordás, John Sithole, Zibusiso Dube, Bigboy Ndlovu, Nompilo Hadebe, Rendani Dlamini, Karabo Kgatle, Tshepang Lebelo, Brandon Magengele, Jackson Magotlane, Bongani Mangena, Tisetso Maselo, Vusi Magoro, Amahle Meine, Sandile Mthembu, Thato Ndlovu, Simiso Ngubane, Blessing Opoka, Pearl Sigwagwa and Ukho Somadlaka
Costumes: Roman Handt
Stage and props: Roman Handt and Outreach Foundation Boitumelo (Sibonelo Sithembe, Roggerio Soares)
Lightning and technical design: Sergio De Carvalho Pessanha
Sound design: Stephan Wöhrmann
Assistant directors: Helena Casas and Linda Michael Mkhwanazi
A production by CONSTANZA MACRAS | DorkyPark in cooperation with Outreach Project Foundation, Hillbrow Theatre and the Maxim Gorki Theater.
Funded by Goethe-Institut / Internationaler Koproduktionsfonds and Fonds TURN der Kulturstiftung des Bundes.
Constanza Macras | DorkyPark are supported by the Senate Department for Culture and Europe, Berlin.
Maxim Gorki Theater
The video documentation is produced by Kulturprojekte Berlin GmbH on behalf of the Senate Department for Culture and Europe. The purpose of this contract is to document productions in the field of contemporary dance in Berlin. The master recordings are archived by the University Library of the Berlin University of Arts. Copies of the recordings on DVD are available for viewing exclusively in the reference collections of the following archives (at media desks in these institutions):
Constanza Macras | DorkyPark / Trailers and Video Documentations
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Interview / Portrait Constanza Macras | DorkyPark (2017)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Chatsworth (2018)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Die Wahrheit über Monte Verità (2017)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: SOMETHING (2017)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: I AM WITH YOU (2016)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: THE GHOSTS (2015)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: The Past (2014)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Open for Everything (2012)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Here / After (2011)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Berlin Elsewhere (2011)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: The Offside Rules (2011)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Megalopolis (2010)