Production Details / Press Releases
Isabelle Schad’s new work, in collaboration with Laurent Goldring, addresses the topics of collectivity and resistance, investigating the possible relationships between freedom and form with a group of 16 dancers. Can the creation of an infinite, unified, monstrous body possibly become a site of resistance? The presentations are accompanied by a lecture, films and an artist talk.
“The group’s body is made out of many. We are exercising practices that have the potential to unite instead of individualize. We are understanding this practices as a relationship to oneself and to one another, as a pathway. Those practices are biological ones, cellular ones, energetic ones. We are looking at freedom in relation to form. To form that is made of and found by an inner process and its rhythms. Rhythm creates the form. Therefore there is multitude, multiplicity, subjectivity and variation, even within repetition.
We are looking at freedom as the essence of happiness. We are looking for equality in movement and for the end of hierarchy between body parts. Relations between body parts are like relations between people within the group. We play and distort in any kind of way. We borrow floor, formation and holding patterns from other communal forms, such as folk dance or eastern practices, to disrupt, distort and play with them. We are relating resistance to questions of rhythm and protest to questions of organization and exercise.
We are resisting the aesthetics of representation and those who promote it and this is definitely meant to be a political practice. Could the creation of an infinite, unified, monstrous body possibly become a site of resistance? Could the body itself become a site of resis tance, the body of a dancer?” Isabelle Schad
Cast & Credits
Concept and choreography: Isabelle Schad in collaboration with Laurent Goldring
Performance and Dance: Juan Corres Benito, Frederick Doffin / Daniella Kaufmann, Hana Erdman, Naïma Ferré, Jasmine İhraç, Przemysław Kamiński, Roni Katz, Mathis Kleinschnittger, Inna Krasnoper, Zwoisy Mears-Clarke, Lea Moro, Benjamin Pohlig, Julia Rodriguez, Claudia Tomasi, Nir Vidan, Sunniva Vikør Egenes
Theoretical accompaniment: Gabriele Wittmann
Sound design: Damir Šimunović
Light: Mehdi Toutain-Lopez
Costumes: Lèa Girod
Light objects: Elias Macke
Production management: Heiko Schramm
Assistant: Angela Millano
With thanks to Teresa Hoffmann, Volker Hüdepohl, Aoife McAtamney, Winfried Lotz-Rambaldi, Matthias Quabbe, Burkhard Bering and Bonnie Bainbridge-Cohen, Jochen Knau and Heiko Schwarzburger
Production: Isabelle Schad
Coproduction: HAU Hebbel on the shore
Supported by the Capital Culture Fund and by the Governing Mayor of Berlin – Senatskanzlei – Cultural Affairs.
In cooperation with: Goethe-Institut Nigeria, Goethe-Institut Warschau, Art Stations Foundation Poznan, HochschulübergreifendesZentrum Tanz Berlin (HZT).
Supported by: Wiesen55 e.V.
HAU Hebbel am Ufer (HAU2)
Hallesches Ufer 32
Tickets: +49 (0)30 259 004 27
The video documentation is produced on behalf of the Senate Department for Culture and Europe. The purpose of this contract is to document productions in the field of contemporary dance in Berlin. The master recordings are archived by the University Library of the Berlin University of Arts. Copies of the recordings on DVD are available for viewing exclusively in the reference collections of the following archives (at media desks in these institutions):
Isabelle Schad / Trailers and Video Documentations
- Isabelle Schad: Interview / Portrait Isabelle Schad (2017)
- Isabelle Schad: Solo for Claudia and Josephine / Bodies of Light (2022)
- Isabelle Schad: HARVEST (2021)
- Isabelle Schad: TURNING SOLO 2 (2021)
- Isabelle Schad: ROTATIONS (2021)
- Isabelle Schad: FUR (2021)
- Isabelle Schad: Knotting (Film) (2020)
- Isabelle Schad: FUR (showing) (2020)
- Isabelle Schad: Reflection (2019)
- 24/7 Dance Movie / Isabelle Schad: Reflection (2019)
- Isabelle Schad: INSIDE OUT (2018)
- Isabelle Schad: Turning Solo (2017)
- Isabelle Schad: Double Portrait (2017)
- Isabelle Schad: Pieces and Elements (2016)
- Isabelle Schad: SOLO FÜR LEA (2016)
- Isabelle Schad: Fugen (2015)
- Isabelle Schad: Form und Masse (2014)
- Isabelle Schad: DER BAU – Gruppe12x60 (2014)
- Isabelle Schad: Der Bau (2013)
- Isabelle Schad: Experience#1 (2012)
- Isabelle Schad: Musik (Praticable) (2011)
- Isabelle Schad: Sweet Dreams are made (2010)