Production Details / Press Releases
„THE TRUTH ABOUT MONTE VERITÀ” is an interactive expressionistic film installation and live performance, which focuses on the artist colony “Monte Verità”, one of the most significant sources of alternative movements in the 20th century and place of utopian escape. Macras researches the connection between dance and silent movies of the utopian early 20th century, while the audience takes interactively part in re-creating a virtual silent movie in real by sending the text via SMS.
As described by Erich Maria Remarque, the piece captures the spirit of despair, absurdity and euphoria which dominated Europe in the beginning of the century and which can be also found in the silent expressionistic movies.
Inspired by formal elements of Hugo Balls dadaistic poetry, the piece also refers to Rudolf von Labans eight efforts and movement theory as the starting point for German expressive dance. The utopia of a liberating escape in harmony with nature stands in conjunction with the criticism of the increasing technologicalisation and industrialisation of modernity.
TFB Nr. 1126
Cast & Credits
Direction & choreography: Constanza Macras
By and with: Emil Bordás, Kostia Chaix, Abdullah Damra, Fernanda Farah, Nile Koetting, Almut Lustig, Ana Mondini, Miki Shoji, Varia Sjöström
Costumes: Gilvan de Coêlho de Oliveira, Allie Saunders (film)
Music: Almut Lustig, Fernanda Farah, Jelena Kuljić
Film: Constanza Macras (concept and direction), Jon Street & Claire Wilkins (camera), Catalina Fernandez (editing)
Stage: Chika Takabayashi
Light design: Catalina Fernandez
Sounddesign: Fabrice Moinet
Video: Claire Wilkins
A production by CONSTANZA MACRAS | DorkyPark.
In coproduction with Schauspiel Leipzig and euro-scene Leipzig.
Funded by NATIONALES PERFORMANCE NETZ (NPN) with the kind support Museum der bildenden Künste Leipzig.
Constanza Macras | DorkyPark are supported by the Senate Department for Culture and Europe, Berlin.
The video documentation is produced by Kulturprojekte Berlin GmbH on behalf of the Senate Department for Culture and Europe. The purpose of this contract is to document productions in the field of contemporary dance in Berlin. The master recordings are archived by the University Library of the Berlin University of Arts. Copies of the recordings on DVD are available for viewing exclusively in the reference collections of the following archives (at media desks in these institutions):
Constanza Macras | Dorkypark / Trailers and Video Documentations
- Constanza Macras | Dorkypark: Interview / Portrait Constanza Macras | DorkyPark (2017)
- Constanza Macras | Dorkypark: STAGES OF CRISIS (2021)
- Constanza Macras | Dorkypark: Bibliomaniacs (2020)
- Constanza Macras | Dorkypark: THE WEST (2020)
- Constanza Macras | Dorkypark: Der Palast (2019)
- Constanza Macras | Dorkypark: Chatsworth (2018)
- Constanza Macras | Dorkypark: HILLBROWFICATION (2018)
- Constanza Macras | Dorkypark: SOMETHING (2017)
- Constanza Macras | Dorkypark: I AM WITH YOU (2016)
- Constanza Macras | Dorkypark: THE GHOSTS (2015)
- Constanza Macras | Dorkypark: The Past (2014)
- Constanza Macras | Dorkypark: Open for Everything (2012)
- Constanza Macras | Dorkypark: Here / After (2011)
- Constanza Macras | Dorkypark: Berlin Elsewhere (2011)
- Constanza Macras | Dorkypark: The Offside Rules (2011)
- Constanza Macras | Dorkypark: Megalopolis (2010)