Production Details / Press Releases
The world outside is raging. And within us? flirren, shimmering, a flurry…
Fear has become a determining constant in our western societies. Is the increasing loss of control in our own lives and futures – whether felt or factual – its source? The first two decades of the 21st century have added a deep level of insecurity to the lives of many people.
The Tanzcompagnie Rubato is once again addressing current social phenomena in flirren that raise fundamental questions about the vocabulary of political discourse and its meaning for our bodies and inner beings.
“You can compare fear to vertigo. If you look into a deep abyss, you get dizzy. But what is the cause? It is the eye as much as it is the abyss. Because: what would have happened, if you wouldn ́t have looked down?” (Søren Kierkegaard). The dizziness that arises is the fear of the unknown. There is potential in this unknown. Will we grasp it? Or will we avert our eyes? And what does it mean when the philosopher Søren Kierkegaard draws a direct link between the concept of fear and the concept of freedom?
flirren transforms this ambivalence into choreography, investigates interior and exterior patterns and reflexes of fear. The performers go, as individual bodies and as a group, through a variety of physical and movement states, emotions and forms of energy.
What way should we go? Where is the plan?
Jean-Paul Sartre saw this chance to break out of life’s cosmos of fear: human beings must turn towards others; only other human beings, counterparts, can promise support. flirren, dances of fear and freedom.
[Source: play bill]
TFB Nr. 1127
Cast & Credits
Artistic direction, idea, stage design: Jutta Hell, Dieter Baumann
Staging, choreography, costumes: Jutta Hell
Dance, choreography: Mercedes Appugliese, Anja Sielaff, Dieter Baumann, Carlos Osatinsky
Live music, composition: Alexander Nickmann
Lighting design: Fabian Bleisch
Production Manager: Inge Zysk
Communication: k3 berlin
A production by Tanzcompagnie Rubato, Berlin, with the kind support of the Senate Department for Culture and Europe, Berlin, funded by the Fonds Darstellende Künste e.V. Berlin, in cooperation with Studio Sonic, Uferstudios Berlin.
The video documentation is produced on behalf of the Senate Department for Culture and Europe. The purpose of this contract is to document productions in the field of contemporary dance in Berlin. The master recordings are archived by the University Library of the Berlin University of Arts. Copies of the recordings on DVD are available for viewing exclusively in the reference collections of the following archives (at media desks in these institutions):
Tanzcompagnie Rubato / Trailers and Video Documentations
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Interview / Portrait Tanzcompagnie Rubato (2017)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: ZWEIFEL (2023)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: SEHNSUCHT, Anatomie eines Gefühls (2022)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Die Zeit ist immer jetzt (2021)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: traces_#62 (2019)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: blue-sky thinking (2018)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: SOS – Ein TANZFONDS ERBE Projekt (2018)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Figures in a Landscape (2018)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Voltage / ZERO (2016)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Wiederholung und Differenz (2015)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Uncertain States (2015)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Happiness / Xing Fu (2014)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Two Figures in a Landscape (2014)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Act (2013)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: FindeOrte (2012)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: milk & bread / rice & water (2011)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Look at me, I´m Chinese (2010)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: display life (2009)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: TROPEN (2009)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: 3 men running (2009)