Production Details / Press Releases
Faces, hands, and voices: as part of a long weekend of dance, Radialsystem presents the German premiere of the solo performance “Personne With Voice”, by Isabelle Schad and Laurent Goldring. Their new choreography originates with the concept of “Personne”: “Personne” is the French word for “person” and “cognisance”. It can also refer to absence, as in the expression “il n’y a personne” – “there is no one”. In Roman antiquity, “persona” referred to masks – theatre masks that represent a character or a ritual mask that specify the dancers’ social positions. A gradual shift moves the meaning through all these layers of identity, whether it be understood as personality, character, or as a subject without individual features.
“Personne With Voice” arose out of a creative process that is characteristic of their collaboration: the interweaving of the dialogue between the two artists with the projects that they work on individually.
Dancer and choreographer Isabelle Schad first studied ballet at the John Cranko School in Stuttgart. After working in various classical ensembles for six years, she moved on to contemporary companies, including Ultima Vez, led by Wim Vandekeybus, in Brussels. From 1999 onwards she initiated her own projects. Her work focuses on the body and its materiality, processuality and knowability, as well as the relationship between the unity of body–mind–soul, choreography and (re)presentation, and the issues of community-building and political engagement. Her works have been performed at international festivals as well as in museums and visual art contexts. In 2019 Isabelle Schad was awarded the Deutscher Tanzpreis for her outstanding artistic contribution to contemporary dance. Her work “Harvest” (2021), a collaboration with Theater o.N. and Offensive Tanz für junges Publikum, was nominated for the Ikarus Prize 2022.
The philosopher and visual artist Laurent Goldring has been working on themes of representation and, in particular, of the body since 1995. Goldring’s fundamental idea is that images are not representations but organs. He has had numerous exhibitions at a.o. Centre Pompidou (Paris), Foundation Gulbenkian (Paris), Fondation Cartier (Paris) and worked internationally with various choreographers including Saskia Hölbling, Sandrine Buring, Isabelle Schad, Louise Lecavallier, Benoît Lachambre, Germana Civera, Bernhard Lang, Donata d’Urso, JM Rabeux, Xavier Le Roy.
[Source: play bill]
TFB Nr. 1754
Cast & Credits
Concept and Choreography: Isabelle Schad, Laurent Goldring
Performance: Isabelle Schad
Light: Joanna Lesnierowska
Sound: Ivan Bartsch
PR: Elena Basteri
Production: Heiko Schramm
Thanks to: Damir Simunovic (sound), Emma Juliard (lighting), Michael Sontag (costume), Ignacio Jarquin (voice coaching), Alexey Kokhanov (voice coaching)
A production by Isabelle Schad in cooperation with Laurent Goldring, National Museum in Warsaw, Goethe-Institut Warsaw, Institut francaise in Warsaw. Supported by the NATIONAL PERFORMANCE NETWORK – STEPPING OUT, which is funded by the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media as part of the NEUSTART KULTUR initiative, dance funding programme.
Isabelle Schad is funded by the Berlin Senate Department for Culture and Europe – Concept Funding.
Thanks to Wiesen55 e.V., Muzeum Susch and Goldring-productions.
The video documentation is produced on behalf of the Senate Department for Culture and Europe. The purpose of this contract is to document productions in the field of contemporary dance in Berlin. The master recordings are archived by the University Library of the Berlin University of Arts. Copies of the recordings on DVD are available for viewing exclusively in the reference collections of the following archives (at media desks in these institutions):
Isabelle Schad / Trailers and Video Documentations
- Isabelle Schad: Interview / Portrait Isabelle Schad (2017)
- Isabelle Schad: The Shift Of Focus (2023)
- Isabelle Schad: Solo for Claudia and Josephine / Bodies of Light (2022)
- Isabelle Schad: HARVEST (2021)
- Isabelle Schad: TURNING SOLO 2 (2021)
- Isabelle Schad: ROTATIONS (2021)
- Isabelle Schad: FUR (2021)
- Isabelle Schad: Knotting (Film) (2020)
- Isabelle Schad: FUR (showing) (2020)
- Isabelle Schad: Reflection (2019)
- 24/7 Dance Movie / Isabelle Schad: Reflection (2019)
- Isabelle Schad: INSIDE OUT (2018)
- Isabelle Schad: Turning Solo (2017)
- Isabelle Schad: Double Portrait (2017)
- Isabelle Schad: Pieces and Elements (2016)
- Isabelle Schad: SOLO FÜR LEA (2016)
- Isabelle Schad: Fugen (2015)
- Isabelle Schad: Collective Jumps (2014)
- Isabelle Schad: Form und Masse (2014)
- Isabelle Schad: DER BAU – Gruppe12x60 (2014)
- Isabelle Schad: Der Bau (2013)
- Isabelle Schad: Experience#1 (2012)
- Isabelle Schad: Musik (Praticable) (2011)
- Isabelle Schad: Sweet Dreams are made (2010)