Production Details / Press Releases
Sheena McGrandles composes stylized body landscapes calling both to the erotic and absurd. In a minimalist setting, three performers use a carefully assembled movement vocabulary that takes inspiration from video-editing techniques: It combines performing live slow motion, rewind, fast edits and endless repetitions, thus exploring non-linear narration and disunity in the body. The choreography focuses on everyday movements and gestures, making a spectacle of the mundane. While the familiar becomes increasingly unfamiliar the tiny details and subtexts that are hidden in situations are exposed.
Sheena McGrandles is a dancer and choreographer living in Berlin. She works in different contexts such as theatre/stage, education and independent art and culture projects. Her current group of works explores radical temporality as a means of detailed exploration and exaggeration of movement. Her works create hyper-real, multi-narrative and humorous moving landscapes. Sheena presents her works nationally and internationally, including London (The Place), Amsterdam (something raw), Berlin (Sophiensæle), Mexico City (Museo Universitario Del Chopo), Los Angeles (PSSST).
SEASON 1 EPISODE 1
As she approached the darkened alleys of the unknown neighborhood, she clapped her hands to make her presence heard. It was the code for the arrangement. As her night continued a series of strange happenings occurred, it was as if in some moments everything stood still, matrix like, echoes of her presence followed her.
SEASON 1 EPISODE 2
Recovering from paralysis they were overcome by such joy. As E over shared her meeting with Tony from the night before, A looked on with disbelief. S was over enthused with all the details. They were out for the next party night each keeping scores of how many people they managed to lure. A out winning once again, it led A and E into a shade attack on each other, witnessed by the whole bar.
SEASON 1 EPISODE 3
As they struggled through the maze, that Jeff had landed them in, a turn of events brought them closer to Timen. They manage to skillfully steer the 5th clue, with E losing her mother’s pendant. As they prepare for the next level A is working out in the background. As S fiddles with the mystical ball gathered from the last clue… thinking through the next steps, knowing she must keep her team safe.
SEASON 1 EPISODE 4
In the deep snow they dig holes, in search of frozen animals, they work with ease and insistence which is required for their survival. They encounter wild species who observe them in the distance, unknown to them, dangerous or docile.. they work nevertheless. Time is a thing of the past, it was their choice to put themselves in this situation. The deepest of solitude, where communication is sparse, the voices eaten by the strong winds.
SEASON 1 EPISODE 5
After a stormy night they wake to find debri everywhere. An aftermath! They run around gathering belongings that have been thrown around, salvaging what remains. Ooooo it’s, it’s, it’s, it’s bad! Wishing it was better circumstances they continue.
SEASON 1 EPISODE 6
During a night walk pre-planned for S birthday a series of strange happenings unfolded in the forest. It was full of sounds and movements that produced bewilderment, curiosity and uncertainty about the space they found themselves in.
SEASON 1 EPISODE 7
It was a long lasting goodbye. They scrambled together to realise their collective vision, one step at time they made it to the otherside in one of the planet’s longest nights. Their mouths wide open, gazing at the sky above.
SEASON 1 EPISODE 8
It was just a routine check at the hospital, followed by a family dinner that all went wrong. Silent emotions spread from one person to the other as everyone buried their feelings in the turkey.
SEASON 1 EPISODE 9
Isn’t it nice place here? Looks gorgeous here. Nestled between thorn bushes and dark cut out trees. They sink slowly into the surface of the earth. They soon realise it was a trap and blame their big eyes for misreading the situation.
[Source: play bill]
TFB Nr. 1421
Cast & Credits
CONCEPT, DIRECTION: Sheena McGrandles
PERFORMANCE: Sheena McGrandles, Annegret Schalke, Ewa Dziarnowska
SOUND: Stellan Veloce
LIGHT DESIGN: Elliott Cennetoglu
DRAMATURGY: Thomas Schaupp, Mila Pavicevic
STAGE, COSTUME: Michiel Keuper, Martin Sieweke
PRODUCTION: ehrliche arbeit – freies Kulturbüro
A production by Sheena McGrandles in co-production with SOPHIENSÆLE.
Funded by the Capital Cultural Fund, Siobhan Davies Dance London and the Goethe-Institut London.
Sheena McGrandles / Trailers and Video Documentations
Instant Feedback Reviews
- Elisabeth Nehring: D.R.A.G. / WILHELM GROENER (18.10.2018)
- Frank Schmid: The Emergency Artist / Clément Layes, Public in Private (23.11.2018)
- Frank Schmid: Hopeless. / Sergiu Matis (11.02.2019)
- Elisabeth Nehring: Warrior / Anne-Mareike Hess (15.02.2019)
- Frank Schmid: Er… Sie… und andere Geschichten / laborgras (22.02.2019)
- Elisabeth Nehring: slave to the rhythm / Hermann Heisig (13.04.2019)
- Frank Schmid: volto umano / cie. toula limnaios (06.06.2019)
- Elisabeth Nehring: SPEAKING VOLUMES / Mirjam Sögner (14.06.2019)
- Frank Schmid: GLORY / Jeremy Wade (21.06.2019)
- Elisabeth Nehring: The Reversed Alchemist: Figure 1-3 / Ixchel Mendoza Hernández (21.07.2019)
- Frank Schmid: Say My Name, Say My Name / Olivia Hyunsin Kim, Ddanddarakim (13.09.2019)
- Elisabeth Nehring: Die Architektur einer Linie / Riki von Falken (20.09.2019)
- Frank Schmid: Soft Things / Rose Beermann, Iva Sveshtarova (11.10.2019)
- Frank Schmid: Platz nehmen / Antje Pfundtner in Gesellschaft (23.11.2019)
- Frank Schmid: Borders & Corners / Grupo Oito (10.01.2020)
- Elisabeth Nehring: The End of the Road / (15.02.2020)
- Elisabeth Nehring: Les Imprédictibles / Corbusier, Felix M. Ott (21.02.2020)