Production Details / Press Releases
In 2012 Berlin Choreographer Isabelle Schad and French artist Laurent Goldring created the piece “Der Bau”, for which Kafka’s unfinished novella of the same title has been serving as an inspiration source. Starting from the description of an animal’s burrow as a metaphor for the body, with its organs and secretions, they have been investigating the space of the stage as an organ. The labyrinth described by Kafka as a space deriving from the body itself, yet still belonging to it becomes the basis for their explorations of conceiving this new relationship between body and space that they have started with their series of pieces Unturtled in 2008.
During the creation process it became clear that space itself is an organ, and it should be seen as an extension, a prolongement of the body. Rilke’s statement about Rodin can serve as the guideline to understand this idea: Rodin does not sculpt the body, but the spaces around them. Schad & Goldring built a two-dimensional, planar, fluid space of large sheets of fabric. These external tissues are dealt with like internal tissues, and they respond in a surprisingly alive manner, at the same time as part of the body, as a shell, and as a partner.
Cast & Credits
Concept, choreography: Isabelle Schad, Laurent Goldring
Performance: Isabelle Schad
Composition, sound design: Peter Böhm
Light design: Mehdi Toutain-Lopez
Technique: Martin Pilz, Mehdi Toutain-Lopez
Production management / PR: Susanne Beyer, Heiko Schramm
Production: Isabelle Schad in collaboration with Espace Pasolini Valenciennes & Monty Antwerp
Funded by the Governing Mayor of Berlin, Senatskanzlei – Cultural Affairs and the Fonds Darstellende Künste e.V.
With kind support: La Ménagerie de Verre Paris, Uferstudios Berlin & Wiesen 55 e.V.
Isabelle Schad is supported by the Berlin Senate.
Thanks to the team of Espace Pasolini Valenciennes, Team of the Uferstudios Berlin, Heike Albrecht, Marion Montel, Frances d’Ath
Isabelle Schad / Trailers and Video Documentations
- Isabelle Schad: Interview / Portrait Isabelle Schad (2017)
- Isabelle Schad: Solo for Claudia and Josephine / Bodies of Light (2022)
- Isabelle Schad: HARVEST (2021)
- Isabelle Schad: TURNING SOLO 2 (2021)
- Isabelle Schad: ROTATIONS (2021)
- Isabelle Schad: FUR (2021)
- Isabelle Schad: Knotting (Film) (2020)
- Isabelle Schad: FUR (showing) (2020)
- Isabelle Schad: Reflection (2019)
- 24/7 Dance Movie / Isabelle Schad: Reflection (2019)
- Isabelle Schad: INSIDE OUT (2018)
- Isabelle Schad: Turning Solo (2017)
- Isabelle Schad: Double Portrait (2017)
- Isabelle Schad: Pieces and Elements (2016)
- Isabelle Schad: SOLO FÜR LEA (2016)
- Isabelle Schad: Fugen (2015)
- Isabelle Schad: Collective Jumps (2014)
- Isabelle Schad: Form und Masse (2014)
- Isabelle Schad: DER BAU – Gruppe12x60 (2014)
- Isabelle Schad: Experience#1 (2012)
- Isabelle Schad: Musik (Praticable) (2011)
- Isabelle Schad: Sweet Dreams are made (2010)