Production Details / Press Releases
An exciting choreographic reading of the Puccini opera – a contemporary new composition in movement and sound.
In 2008, the Bregenz Festival – in co-production with the international dance festival Bregenzer Frühling and the Künstlerhaus Mousonturm Frankfurt am Main – commissioned a dance ensemble to realize an opera in order to take a new look at Puccini’s »Tosca«. Since the close and equal interplay of choreographic polyphony and musical complexity is one of the style-forming characteristics of the cie. toula limnaios, the company was entrusted with this new production.
The choreography combines poetry and images of horror, sensitive portrait and socio-critical psychogram, with the music being as much a poetic metaphor of fragility as it is a mirror of the opera’s inherent destructive power. Puccini’s music is deconstructed and the smallest particles suddenly appear out of hiding that would otherwise go unnoticed. Reality, desire and actuality fall apart. Everything can turn into its opposite at any time: Violence, torture, feelings of powerlessness, uncertainty and longing entangle »reading tosca« in a brutal world marked by brokenness.
TFB Nr. 1777
Cast & Credits
Concept / choreography: Toula Limnaios
Music: Ralf R. Ollertz*
Dance/creation: Leonardo D’Aquino, Francesca Bedin, Laura Beschi, Priscilla Fiuza, Alessio Scandale, Hironori Sugata, Karolina Wyrwal
Assistance: Alice Gaspari
Costumes: Antonia Limnaios, Toula Limnaios
Technical director / lightdesign: Felix Grimm
Lighting & stage technics: Domenik Engemann
Touring/cooperations: Marie Schmieder
Public Relations: Talea Schuré
*The recording of a performance of “tosca” at the Bregenz Festival was used for the composition of the music: Tosca- Nadja Michael, Cavaradossi – Zoran Todorovich, Scarpia – Gidon Saks, Angelotti – Sebastian Soules, Spoletta – Alexander Krawetz, Mesner/Jailer – Martin Winkler, Sciarrone – Martin Busen, Shepherd Boy – Katja Velletaz. It plays the Vienna Symphony Orchestra, Musical Director: Ulf Schirmer.
World premiere in co-production with the Bregenz Festival for Art from Time, the Bregenz Spring Dance Festival, the Künstlerhaus Mousonturm Frankfurt/Main and cie. toula limnaios/HALLE Tanzbühne Berlin.
Supported by the national performance network with funds from Tanzplan Deutschland of the German Federal Cultural Foundation.
The cie. toula limnaios is institutionally funded by the State of Berlin, Senate Department for Culture and Europe.
HALLE Tanzbühne Berlin
cie. toula limnaios / HALLE Tanzbühne Berlin
Eberswalder Straße 10
The video documentation is produced on behalf of the Senate Department for Culture and Europe. The purpose of this contract is to document productions in the field of contemporary dance in Berlin. The master recordings are archived by the University Library of the Berlin University of Arts. Copies of the recordings on DVD are available for viewing exclusively in the reference collections of the following archives (at media desks in these institutions):
cie. toula limnaios / Trailers and Video Documentations
- cie. toula limnaios: Interview / Portrait cie. toula limnaios (2016)
- cie. toula limnaios: anderland (2023)
- cie. toula limnaios: staubkinder (2023)
- cie. toula limnaios: clair obscur (2021)
- cie. toula limnaios: inmitten live 3 (2021)
- cie. toula limnaios: inmitten live 1 (2021)
- cie. toula limnaios: tell me a better story 2 (2020)
- cie. toula limnaios: tell me a better story 1 (2020)
- cie. toula limnaios: meantime (2020)
- Instant Feedback / cie. toula limnaios: volto umano (2019)
- cie. toula limnaios: shifted realities (2019)
- cie. toula limnaios: volto umano (2018)
- cie. toula limnaios: momentum (2017)
- cie. toula limnaios: die einen, die anderen (2017)
- cie. toula limnaios: tempus fugit (2016)
- cie. toula limnaios: isson (2016)
- cie. toula limnaios: minute papillon (2015)
- cie. toula limnaios: Blind Date (Kommentierte Musik 1) (2015)
- cie. toula limnaios: la salle (2015)
- cie. toula limnaios: miles mysteries (2014)
- cie. toula limnaios: if I was real (2013)
- cie. toula limnaios: the thing I am (2013)
- cie. toula limnaios: wut (2012)
- cie. toula limnaios: the rest of me (2012)
- cie. toula limnaios: anderland (2011)
- cie. toula limnaios: every single day (2011)
- cie. toula limnaios: secrets perdus (2010)
- cie. toula limnaios: wound (2009)
- cie. toula limnaios: les possédés (2009)
- cie. toula limnaios: the silencers (2009)
- cie. toula limnaios: reading tosca (2008)