Production Details / Press Releases
Itinerant Dance Ensemble is a platform in constant movement that connects female dancers, directors, and choreographers to generate great work opportunities for female freelance artists. Following SOMETHING (2018), BIBLIOMANIACS under the direction of Lisi Estarás is the second production of Itinerant Dance Ensemble.
Lisi Estarás was born in Argentina. She spent more than 20 years dancing in les ballets C de la B (Gent, Belgium). At the same time, she developed her own choreographic works for les ballets and worked in collaboration with other artists. Together with Constanza Macras, she worked on Hillbrowfication (Maxim Gorki Theater) and appeared on stage in No Wonder (Schaubühne). In 2018, she founded the dance company MonkeyMind Company I Lisi Estaras in Gent. Since then, she has been developing her new works in her unique dance language that she calls „MonkeyMind.“
“Words define what is there. What exists. The rest are speculations. Words are the base of misunderstandings”
“What I say is never what I say but instead something else”
In BIBLIOMANIACS, six women create an exposed universe of words and movements where both worlds compete with each other in order to endure, to transcend. Beautiful poetry mixed with straightforward monologues and sexual phantasies bring us to the past and the very present in a tense and unsuccessful dialogue. The unique physicality of BIBLIOMANIACS belongs to what I define as the monkey mind language: the incessant chatter in our heads when we go from one thought to another, from one emotion to another, like a monkey jumping from tree to tree chaotically. This physical language emphasizes certain randomness, the disconnection between the brain and the body, always confronting the very personal way of executing our actions, decisions, movements…
Can we hide behind sensual poetic images? Do we need to? Do we want to? Can words have the power to perdure after the body takes over?
BIBLIOMANIACS it’s like a very busy day, full of information that we can not process and still we enjoy having that day, being there, having the challenge.
TFB Nr. 1475
Cast & Credits
Direction and Choreography: Lisi Estarás
Dramaturgy: Carmen Mehnert
By and with: Candaş Bas, Eli Cohen, Emmanouela Dolianiti, Shannon Leypoldt, Daisy Phillips, Asuka Julia Riedl
Music by: Gabriel Chwojnik
Sound: Ivan Bartsch
Costumes: Madeleine Sahl
Lighting design: Catalina Fernandez
Directing Intern: Binks Mooney, Laura Schultis
Production: Chloé Ferro
Production Office: Valeria Ryzhonina, María José Jaña
A production by CONSTANZA MACRAS | DORKYPARK in collaboration with KINDL – Zentrum für zeitgenössische Kunst.
Funded by Senatsverwaltung für Kultur und Europa.
The video documentation is produced on behalf of the Senate Department for Culture and Europe. The purpose of this contract is to document productions in the field of contemporary dance in Berlin. The master recordings are archived by the University Library of the Berlin University of Arts. Copies of the recordings on DVD are available for viewing exclusively in the reference collections of the following archives (at media desks in these institutions):
Constanza Macras | DorkyPark / Trailers and Video Documentations
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Interview / Portrait Constanza Macras | DorkyPark (2017)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: The Future (2021)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: STAGES OF CRISIS (2021)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: THE WEST (2020)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Der Palast (2019)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Chatsworth (2018)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: HILLBROWFICATION (2018)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Die Wahrheit über Monte Verità (2017)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: SOMETHING (2017)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: I AM WITH YOU (2016)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: THE GHOSTS (2015)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: The Past (2014)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Open for Everything (2012)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Here / After (2011)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Berlin Elsewhere (2011)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: The Offside Rules (2011)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Megalopolis (2010)