Production Details / Press Releases
In the new piece DRAMA, a group of people work hard to sound out the opportunities and limits of the stage space in a post-pandemic time, when users have become the content of social media.
On the real stage of the theatre, it is the well-known plays that work best with audiences. Shakespeare? Sophocles? Again? In suits? The performers explore a variety of genres to merge them into an imitation of the stage genre “La Revista Argentina”, a mixture of cabaret and French glamour revue, catchy Spanish tunes, Italian humour, lots of feathers, big music show and popular comedians. “La Revista Argentina” evolved at the time of the Weimar Republic, when Buster Keaton released the film The Haunted House, in which criminals and lousy actors from a mediocre Faust production clash.
The figures in DRAMA nurture the anthropological desire to cut up popular culture in an effort to discover the arc of suspense between high art and low, and the untiring energy of the glamour dancers of the Argentinian revue of the 1920s. They perform with a spartan endurance and without the slightest gesture of pain. Robert Lippok’s musical score adds to this atmosphere, contrasting the musical referencing of pop songs.
The performers compete for the worn out attention span of audiences in the era of clickbait. But how can you compete with the never-ending spectacle of politics and news, fake or true? Drama and tragedy happen everywhere, not just on stage. Joseph Campbell’s reconciliation with his father is the root and rerun of endless heroic stories of the patriarchal kind, but is a hero’s journey perhaps just a reflection of some male director who has a father complex?
TFB Nr. 1737
Cast & Credits
Concept, direction, choreography: Constanza Macras
Dramaturgy: Carmen Mehnert
By and with: Candaş Bas, Alexandra Bódi, Emil Bordás, Campbell Caspary, Fernanda Farah, Thulani Lord Mgidi, Moritz Lucht, Miki Shoji, Shiori Sumikawa, Knut Vikström Precht
Guests: Carmen Burguess, ok!choir
Live music by and with: Katrin Schüler-Springorum, Lucas Sofia
Music composition: Robert Lippok
Stage Designer: Simon Lesemann
Costumes: Eleonore Carrière
Lighting: Hans-Hermann Schulze
Assistant Director: Mica Heilmann
Costume Assistant: Linda Siegel
Set design assistance: Laurent Pellissier, Chloe Kelly
Stage management: Maria Bergel
Make-up: Spyridon Prosoparis
Theatre Master: Jan Krüger
Sound / Video: Klaus Dobbrick
Props: Moritz Marquardt
A production by Constanza Macras | DorkyPark in co-production with Volksbühne am Rosa-Luxemburg-Platz.
Funded by Land Berlin – Senatsverwaltung für Kultur und Europa.
Volksbühne am Rosa-Luxemburg-Platz
The video documentation is produced on behalf of the Senate Department for Culture and Europe. The purpose of this contract is to document productions in the field of contemporary dance in Berlin. The master recordings are archived by the University Library of the Berlin University of Arts. Copies of the recordings on DVD are available for viewing exclusively in the reference collections of the following archives (at media desks in these institutions):
Constanza Macras | DorkyPark / Trailers and Video Documentations
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Interview / Portrait Constanza Macras | DorkyPark (2017)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: The Future (2021)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: STAGES OF CRISIS (2021)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Bibliomaniacs (2020)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: THE WEST (2020)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Der Palast (2019)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Chatsworth (2018)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: HILLBROWFICATION (2018)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Die Wahrheit über Monte Verità (2017)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: SOMETHING (2017)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: I AM WITH YOU (2016)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: THE GHOSTS (2015)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: The Past (2014)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Open for Everything (2012)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Here / After (2011)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Berlin Elsewhere (2011)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: The Offside Rules (2011)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Megalopolis (2010)