Production Details / Press Releases
The West develops fictional worlds that deal with cultural imperialism, and questions the means of constructing visual landscapes, which have shaped the socio-economic relationships between the Global South, the East and the West to this day. Exoticism emerges as a projection of Western wishful thinking and as an aesthetic exploitation of the foreign in the empire of Western mass cultures. The American socialization of Latin America was at its peak between the 1970s and the 1980s. Film and television served as powerful propaganda instruments to project a certain world view directed against the communist East: from Wonder Woman to today’s Homeland, these series were suitable for the dissemination of American strategies and ideologies. Besides, working through the cracks of lesser good was a way to show us that if something was falling in the category of bad by the good ones, it was always for a greater good.
The West draws a performative study of Western strategies of occupation, reflects didactic methods of cultural imperialism, and takes a look at Western societies as the dream factory of artificial authenticity.
TFB Nr. 1434
Cast & Credits
Director and choreographer: Constanza Macras
Stage design: Alissa Kolbusch
Costumes: Roman Handt
Lighting design: Sergio de Carvalho Pessanha
Dramaturgy: Carmen Mehnert
Director’s assistant: Marie Glassl
With: Candaş Bas, Adaya Berkovich, Alexandra Bódi, Emil Bordás, Kostia Chaix, Fernanda Farah, Thulani Lord Mgidi, Daisy Phillips, Miki Shoji, Bastian Trost
Musicians: Almut Lustig, Katrin Schüler-Springorum
A production by Constanza Macras | DorkyPark and Volksbühne Berlin.
Constanza Macras | DorkyPark is funded by Land Berlin – Senatsverwaltung für Kultur und Europa.
The video documentation is produced by Kulturprojekte Berlin GmbH on behalf of the Senate Department for Culture and Europe. The purpose of this contract is to document productions in the field of contemporary dance in Berlin. The master recordings are archived by the University Library of the Berlin University of Arts. Copies of the recordings on DVD are available for viewing exclusively in the reference collections of the following archives (at media desks in these institutions):
Constanza Macras | DorkyPark / Trailers and Video Documentations
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Interview / Portrait Constanza Macras | DorkyPark (2017)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Der Palast (2019)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Chatsworth (2018)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: HILLBROWFICATION (2018)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Die Wahrheit über Monte Verità (2017)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: SOMETHING (2017)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: I AM WITH YOU (2016)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: THE GHOSTS (2015)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: The Past (2014)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Open for Everything (2012)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Here / After (2011)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Berlin Elsewhere (2011)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: The Offside Rules (2011)
- Constanza Macras | DorkyPark: Megalopolis (2010)