Production Details / Press Releases
On. Off. For. Against. Plus. Minus. Tension. Relaxation. Voltage / ZERO. Incompatible? What potential of the “possible” exists in conflict, dissenting opinions, feelings, attitudes, action?
In contrast to the concept of consensus, conflicts constantly renegotiate differences and one’s own perception. There are no fix positions. In the concept of openness, Rubato responds to a key question: “how do we remain capable of acting in the face of increasingly more complex crisis situations?”
Experience with conflict is not abstract. It takes place in concrete situations and is associated with emotions, people, objects, spaces… The body and interactions between bodies create the field on which conflict and tension first become visible and are then negotiated. The spectrum of physical patterns of action and reaction ranges from simple gestures to pure violence.
The stage and choreography of Voltage / ZERO creates a dynamic space of reflection. What masks and costumes do conflicts and tension wear? Which language of movement do we use when we deal with them? What are the physical phases of a dispute? What happens when bodies collide? What is it like when conflicts are redirected, deflected or are resolved? What does it mean to us when we are subjected to situations of tension over a long period of time? What does the experience feel like when a conflict is mastered or overcome?
Voltage / ZERO: before a conflict is after a conflict is before a conflict.
Cast & Credits
Artistic Direction, Idea, Stage: Jutta Hell, Dieter Baumann
Staging, choreography, costume: Jutta Hell
Dancers, choreography: Mercedes Appugliese, Anja Sielaff, Dieter Baumann, Carlos Osatinsky
Music: Da Bao
Light design: Fabian Bleisch
Communication: k3 berlin
A production by Tanzcompagnie Rubato, Berlin, funded by the Governing Mayor of Berlin – Senatskanzlei – Cultural Affairs, the Fonds Darstellende Künste e.V. Berlin, in cooperation with Studio Sonic and Uferstudios Berlin.
The video documentation is produced by Kulturprojekte Berlin GmbH on behalf of the Senate Department for Culture and Europe. The purpose of this contract is to document productions in the field of contemporary dance in Berlin. The master recordings are archived by the University Library of the Berlin University of Arts. Copies of the recordings on DVD are available for viewing exclusively in the reference collections of the following archives (at media desks in these institutions):
Tanzcompagnie Rubato / Trailers and Video Documentations
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Interview / Portrait Tanzcompagnie Rubato (2017)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: SOS – Ein TANZFONDS ERBE Projekt (2018)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Figures in a Landscape (2018)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: flirren (2017)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Wiederholung und Differenz (2015)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Uncertain States (2015)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Happiness / Xing Fu (2014)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Two Figures in a Landscape (2014)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Act (2013)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: FindeOrte (2012)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: milk & bread / rice & water (2011)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: Look at me, I´m Chinese (2010)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: display life (2009)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: TROPEN (2009)
- Tanzcompagnie Rubato: 3 men running (2009)